Yoga Benefits To Help You SleepPosted at September 21, 2015 by Brenazon on category Featured, Women, Yoga
Many people think that Yoga is just for stretching. However, this misconception couldn’t be further from the truth. Although stretching is a huge part of yoga, it certainly isn’t the only reason people practice Yoga. Practicing Yoga will also create balance and will strengthen and tone your body. Yoga is a great form of exercise for Martial Artists, Dancers and other Athletes because it also helps to increase flexibility. The stretching involved in Yoga will strengthen your core as well as every other parts of your body. There are several Yoga benefits beyond what most people think.
Yoga Benefits for Asthma: People may not realize this, but learning proper Yoga breathing techniques is great for people who suffer from asthma. Yoga actually opens the lungs, making it easier for you to breathe. Yoga breathing techniques actually will improve your overall lung capacity as well. The Yoga benefits of improved breathing is not just for people with asthma either. Everyone can benefit from improved breathing.
Yoga Benefits for Sleeping: There is certain sequences of Yoga movements and poses that are beneficial to do right before you head off to bed. It has been proven that performing a light physical exercise before bedtime will actually help you fall asleep faster. This will result in a better quality of sleep and is another one of the great Yoga benefits.
Try these Yoga stretches before you go to bed:
- Sit facing a wall (or your headboard) with your butt about 6 inches away from it.
- Lie back and extend your legs up the wall.
- If this is too intense a stretch for your hamstrings, slide your butt farther away from the wall.
- If it’s not enough, scoot closer.
- Let your arms rest by your sides, palms facing up, and breathe gently, feeling the stretch in the backs of your legs.
- Sit cross-legged on the bed and exhale as you place your right hand on your left knee and left hand on the bed behind your tailbone.
- Gently twist your torso to the left.
- Allow your gaze to follow, looking over your left shoulder. Breathe deeply, then return to center and repeat on opposite side.
Nighttime Goddess Stretch
- Lie on your back with knees bent.
- Place the soles of your feet together, then let your knees fall open, forming a diamond shape with your legs.
- Rest your arms on the bed.
- If you feel any strain, elevate your legs by placing a pillow underneath each knee.
- Sit up comfortably on your heels.
- Roll your torso forward, bringing your forehead to rest on the bed in front of you.
- Lower your chest as close to your knees as you comfortably can, extending your arms in front of you.
- Hold the pose and breathe.
- Lying on your back, hug knees in to chest.
- Cross your ankles and wrap both arms around your shins with clasped hands.
- Inhale and rock your body up to sit; exhale as you roll back.
- Continue for 1 minute, then roll back, extend arms and legs, and drift off to sleep.
Yoga Benefits for Posture: Yoga is a very effective way to improve your posture. In the beginning you will probably notice a lot of slouching and slumping over. The Yoga benefits for your back will result in a better posture and getting rid of that slouched, slumped over appearance. Believe me, you will see and feel a huge difference. Friends and family will notice and you can share with them the great Yoga benefits you have experienced.
Yoga Benefits for Physical Strength: Yoga will improve your physical strength. Many people do not realize that yoga will actually build and tone the muscles. Practicing Yoga builds a lot of muscle, due to all the balancing involved, using only your own body weight. For even more of a challenge, weights can be added to these exercises. Having great looking muscles, not only looks good but can protect us from back pain and arthritis. Having strong muscles can also help prevent you from falling. The Yoga benefits are endless.
Yoga Benefits for Mental Strength: The mental benefits are another main factor. When focusing on Yoga stretches, you are able to just relax both your body and mind meditating through the moves. When you relax both your mind and body, you will become stress free, even if only for a few minutes. Meditation has been proven to improve your quality of life and give your mind a break, even if only for 5 minutes a day. I can’t think of anyone who doesn’t need to take a mental break from their long hectic life.
Yoga Benefits for Flexibility: Before you begin a Yoga benefits regimen you may not be able to even touch your toes, but that’s okay. If you stick with it, you will gradually loosen up and will reach goals that once seemed impossible. Heck, you may even be able to do a back-bend.
Yoga Benefits for Increased Self-Esteem: Many of us are not happy with ourselves and our body’s physical appearance. Whether we think we are too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, etc. I know so many people who suffer from low self- esteem and are taking drugs and other medications to help them through it, This may not be the healthiest way. Why not take a more positive approach and try Yoga? Yoga may not be the answer to your issues, however, doing Yoga will relax your body and mind. Yoga will make you feel amazing and good about yourself. You should set goals and work towards them until you achieve those goals.
Yoga Benefits Resources:
Find this helpful? Sign Up for our Blog and we'll send you a regular digest of our newest fitness articles, full of fat burning tips and free advice! We'll also email you a FREE PDF of "5 Fat Burning Snacks" as soon as you've subscribed. It's full of great tips that'll help you burn fat while simply snacking. It doesn't cost a dime, so why wait? Click Here To Sign Up Now!.
Brenda Brennan is a "Fitness Buff" and President of Brenazon, Inc.
2054 Kildaire Farm Rd.
Cary, NC 27518